Finiteness Conditions in Topology and Algebra
Queen’s University Belfast (UK), 31.08.-03.09.2015
The conference “Finiteness Conditions in Topology and Algebra” will take place 31.08.-03.09.2015 at Queen’s University Belfast (UK). Topics include: finiteness in geometric topology, geometric group theory, Sigma-invariants of groups and spaces, Novikov homology, interaction with other areas such as toric topology, hyperplane arrangements and tropical geometry. The current list of speakers includes
– Martin Bridson* (University of Oxford, UK)
– Dan Burghelea (Ohio State University, US)
– Ross Geoghegan (Binghamton University, US)
– Dessislava Kochloukova (University of Campinas, Brazil)
– Ian Leary (University of Southampton, UK)
– Alexandra Pettet* (University of British Columbia, Canada)
– Andrew Ranicki (University of Edinburgh, UK)
A web page for the event can be found at http://www.northeastern.edu/suciu/Belfast2015/ where further information will be posted in due course.
Conference organisers: Thomas Huettemann and Alex Suciu
The next Young Researchers Conference of the Royal Spanish Mathematical Society, 3CJI, will take place in the University of Murcia in September 7 – 11, 2015.
The meeting will include one parallel session on Algebra (organized by Elias Baro and Gemma Colomé) and another one revolving around Algebraic Geometry and Singularities (organized by Miguel Marco and Víctor González Alonso).
For more information, see the web site for the Conference.
MULTIPLIER IDEALS, TEST IDEALS AND BERNSTEIN-SATO POLYNOMIALS
BARCELONA, September 7-10, 2015
This meeting is mainly intended for graduate students and postdocs working on algebraic geometry, singularities or commutative algebra. It will focus on the theory of Multiplier ideals, Test ideals and Bernstein-Sato polynomials with special regard to the interplay between them.
There will be three mini-courses given by experts on the topics of the workshop. Moreover we plan on having some talks given by participants that are developing their research in this area.
·Nero Budur (KU Leuven): Bernstein-Sato polynomials
·Karl Schwede (U. Utah): Test Ideals
·Kevin Tucker (UIC): Multiplier Ideals
For more information see the web page of the workshop at
There will be a workshop titled “Combinatorial and Experimental Methods in Commutative Algebra and Related Fields” at the University of Osnabrück, October 7th – 10th, 2015.
The workshop will be organized by Winfried Bruns, Aldo Conca, Jürgen Herzog, and Tim Römer.
For more information, see the web page for the workshop.
The Fields Institute in Toronto, Ontario, will host a semester-long program in Combinatorial Algebraic Geometry in Fall 2016.
This semester-long program will focus on the topics in algebraic geometry with deep combinatorial connections. These will include, but are not limited to, Hilbert schemes, moduli spaces, Okounkov bodies, Schubert varieties, toric varieties, and tropical geometry.
There will be three programmatic workshops: an introductory workshop in August, a workshop on “Convexity in Algebraic Geometry” in October, and a workshop on “Combinatorial Moduli Spaces and Intersection Theory” in December. There will also be a graduate summer school in Summer 2016.
Applications for long-term visiting positions will be due in December 2015.
More information will be available on the webpage for the program.
Title: Geometric and topological aspects of the representation theory of finite groups
There will be a Summer school, followed by a Workshop, on the representation theory of finite groups and related algebraic structures, with an emphasis on the modular case.
Venue: University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Summer School: 27th to 30th July 2016
Workshop: 1st to 5th August, 2016
The speakers at the Summer school are:
- Eric Friedlander, University of Southern California, U.S.A.
- Jesper Grodal, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Radha Kessar, City University, London, U.K.
- Peter Symonds, University of Manchester, U.K.
They will each deliver a lecture series consisting of four lectures each. Here is a tentative list of speakers at the Workshop:
- Alejandro Adem, University of British Columbia, Canada
- Luchezar L. Avramov, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, U.S.A.
- Paul Balmer, University of California, Los Angeles, U.S.A.
- David Eisenbud, University of California, Berkeley, U.S.A.
- Bob Guralnick, University of Southern California, U.S.A.
- Alexander Kleschev, University of Oregon, U.S.A.
- Henning Krause, University of Bielefeld, Germany.
- Markus Linckelmann, City University, London, U.K.
- Dan Nakano, University of Georgia, Athens, U.S.A.
- Brooke Shipley, University of Illinos, Chicago, U.S.A.
- Greg Stevenson, University of Bielefeld, Germany.
- Burt Totaro, University of California, Los Angeles, U.S.A.
- Mark Walker, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, U.S.A.
These events will be an occasion to celebrate Dave Benson’s 60th birthday and his distinguished mathematical career.
The organizers are
- Jon F. Carlson (University of Georgia)
- Srikanth B. Iyengar (University of Utah)
- Julia Pevtsova (University of Washington)
- Sarah Witherspoon (Texas A&M University).
Further information concerning the Summer School, including registration information, will be available at in due course at http://www.pims.math.ca/scientific-event/160727-psswgatartofg.